East African spices and seasoning masala is a blend of aromatic and flavorful spices that are used to enhance the taste and aroma of various dishes in East Africa. Some of the common spices and seasonings used in this blend are cumin, cinnamon, black peppercorn, cardamom, cloves, turmeric, curry powder, coriander, tamarind, and coconut12.
This spice blend can be used to make pilau, a traditional rice dish cooked with meat or chicken and stock31. It can also be used to make chips masala, a popular snack of fried potatoes seasoned with spices and herbs4. Other dishes that can benefit from this spice blend are stews, soups, curries, marinades, and salads.
Some of the benefits of using East African spices and seasoning masala are:
It adds a rich and complex flavor to your dishes, making them more delicious and satisfying.
It provides health benefits such as boosting your immune system, aiding digestion, reducing inflammation, and fighting infections.
It creates a festive and cultural atmosphere in your kitchen, bringing you closer to the diverse and vibrant cuisine of East Africa.
To make your own East African spices and seasoning masala at home, you will need the following ingredients:
- 2 tablespoons of cumin seeds
- 2 tablespoons of cardamom seeds
- 2 tablespoons of black peppercorn seeds
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 2 tablespoons of cloves
- A blender or a spice grinder
Here are the steps to follow:
- Heat a pan over medium heat and add the cumin seeds, cardamom seeds, black peppercorn seeds, cinnamon sticks, and cloves. Roast them for about 10 minutes, stirring constantly, until they become fragrant.
- Transfer the roasted spices to a blender or a spice grinder and blend them until they form a fine powder. Store the spice blend in an airtight container in a cool and dry place.
- Use the spice blend as desired in your recipes. Enjoy!